State Bank of Defiance was founded in 1902 by Elbert E. Carter and rapidly grew into one of northwest Ohio’s leading financial institutions.
Our first bank was located on the southwest corner of Clinton and Third Streets in Defiance. And although the facility has been rebuilt over the years, that corner is still home to our Main Banking Center.
Ours was one of the few banks to remain open during the Great Depression. In fact, State Bank’s stability helped to ease the financial tension of the time throughout the Defiance area.
During World War II, the Bank’s leaders participated in U.S. Savings Bond drives and provided direction to many local war-time agencies. And State Bank continues to enjoy a reputation for leadership and integrity within the banking community today.
State Bank provides a full range of financial services for consumers and small businesses, including wealth management, private client services, mortgage banking and commercial and agricultural lending, operating through a total of 20 banking centers; 19 in nine Ohio counties and one center in Fort Wayne, Indiana, and 24 full-service ATMs. We have six loan production offices located throughout the Tri-State region of Ohio, Indiana and Michigan.